1937 The creation of RAF Benson
It was in 1937, when the Royal Air Force was expanding to meet the threat of Nazi aggression, that work began on the building of a new airfield near the historic village of Benson.
1939 Fairey Battle Aircraft
On the 3rd of April 1939 No 150 Squadron moved into Benson from Boscombe Down to be joined a month later by No 103 Squadron from Abingdon. Both Squadrons were equipped with Fairey Battle aircraft and these were the first to fly at the new airfield under the command of Group Captain R T Leather AFC. Both Squadrons left Benson to move to France in September 1939 as components of the advanced air striking force.
1939-1942 Kings Flight
The Kings Flight moved to Benson in September of the same year. This first association was only a short one, with the Kings Flight being disbanded in 1942 to form the nucleus of 161 Squadron in 1942 at Newmarket.