A wartime airfield built to Class A standard, Ludford Magna was commenced in June I942 and completed early in 1943 with George Wimpey as the main contractor on a £803,000 project. Located five miles east of Market Rasen directly south of the A631 and the village for which it was named the site took over land in two other parishes. The three concrete runways were 02-20 at 1,950 yards, 11-29 at 1,430 yards and 15-33 at 1,400 yards. The usual 36 hardstandings adjoined the perimeter track and all but one were pans. Two other pans were lost due to the erection of four T2 hangars off the southwest perimeter in the technical area. A lone T2 was located on the east side of the airfield and a B 1 and T2 on the station technical site near Ludford Magna village, between the heads of runways 15 and 20. A road on the west side from the A631 to A 157 was crossed by dispersals in this area. Domestic and communal sites were dispersed in farmland to the north of the airfield. There were seven domestic, two mess, a communal site and sick quarters. Maximum accommodation was given as 1,953 male and 305 female.
Opened in June 1943, it was to be the home of the veteran No. 101 Squadron, which had served three different groups in Bomber Command. As well as being part of the main force, the squadron was given the additional and unique role operating radio-countermeasures employing the ABC device to jam enemy transmissions. In this battle with Luftwaffe night fighter control, German-speaking operators were carried in some of its Lancaster's to intrude on enemy voice transmissions. During operations from Ludford Magna, 113 Lancaster's failed to return or crashed.
No. 101 Squadron was moved to the domestic comforts of nearby Binbrook in October 1945 thus ending Ludford Magna's use by flying units. The establishment was eventually returned to civil use and gradual decay. However, in 1958 it was selected as one of the sites for Thor missiles, three separate launch pads and stores being constructed in the centre of the airfield. No. 104 Squadron, the designated operating unit, was in residence from July 1959 to May 1963 when the unit was disbanded following the removal of the missiles. Thereafter Ludford Magna gradually returned to agricultural use, the land being sold in 1965-66. The hangars were sold and dismantled, although many buildings survive for small business use. The most poignant reminder of its existence is the memorial to No. 101 Squadron dead erected in 1978 in Ludford Magna village.