- Aptitude tests
- Selection interviews
- Health assessment
- Fitness tests
- Pre-Recruit Training Course
- Functional skills
The RAF recruitment process has been developed to ensure we match the right people with the right jobs. As part of this selection process you'll be required to take a series of aptitude tests.
The aptitude required differs between each role. If you find that you haven't scored for the role that you are interested in, then our careers advisers may be able to suggest alternatives to you.
Officers, Non-Commissioned Aircrew and Non-Commissioned Air Traffic Controllers
Applicants for Aerospace Battle Manager, Air Traffic Controller, Air Traffic Control Officer and Weapons Systems Operator are required to successfully pass the Airman/Airwoman Selection Test (AST) - For further details regarding the AST see the details below under the heading 'Airmen/Airwomen'.
All successful applicants for Officer, Non-Commissioned Aircrew and Non-Commissioned Air Traffic Controllers will spend up to four days at the Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre (OASC) at the RAF College Cranwell in Lincolnshire. There you’ll undertake several aptitude tests using a computer. The career you’re interested in may also determine what tests you need to pass before you can join.
The tests measure your ability to perform specific tasks, such as:
- how well you respond physically to visual information
- your ability to interpret information in two dimensions and devise a three-dimensional solution
- your ability to complete several tasks simultaneously.
We’ll also be testing a wide range of your natural abilities, including:
- deductive reasoning
- spatial reasoning
- work rate and concentration
- verbal and numerical reasoning.
All applicants to join an RAF trade will sit the Airman/Airwoman Selection Test (AST). The AST consists of seven multiple-choice tests, each focusing on different skills and will take place at your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO). You'll probably be part of a small group of people taking the test at the same time. The tests will cover:
- Verbal reasoning – How do you use and interpret written information?
- Numerical reasoning – Can you use basic fractions, decimals and formulae; can you understand and interpret graphs and tables?
- Work rate – How quickly and accurately do you complete tasks?
- Spatial reasoning – Can you understand how shapes and objects work?
- Electrical comprehension – Can you work with electrical concepts?
- Mechanical comprehension – Can you work with mechanical concepts?
- Memory – How accurately can you remember information?
The results of your AST are strictly confidential and will only be used for the RAF recruit selection process.