Header

113 Squadron

113 SQUADRON

Squadron badge

Motto:

Velox et vindex. - 'Swift to vengeance'

Badge:

In front of a cross potent, between four like crosses, two swords in saltire, the points uppermost.






History of 113 Squadron:

No. 113 Squadron was formed on 1 August 1917 at Ismailia as a corps reconnaissance unit. In September it began tactical reconnaissance and artillery spotting missions in Palestine where it remained until the end of the war. Returning to Egypt in May 1919, the Squadron was renumbered 208 Squadron on 1 February 1920.

No. 113 reformed at Upper Heyford on 18 May 1937 as a day bomber unit with Hinds. In April 1938 it left for the Middle East, converting to Blenheims in June 1939. After Italy joined the war in June 1940, the Squadron carried out bombing raids on Italian bases in Libya before moving to Greece in March 1941. There it was overtaken by the German invasion and lost all its aircraft, the Squadrons personnel being evacuated to Crete and Egypt. Bombing operations began in June 1941 but the after the outbreak of war in the Far East the Squadron was moved to Burma where it attacked Japanese columns until it was evacuated to Calcutta in March 1942. From Assam No. 113 bombed Japanese communications and airfields until it converted to Hurricanes in March 1943. These were used for ground-attack duties being replaced by Thunderbolts in April 1945 which were flown until the Squadron was disbanded on 15 October 1945.

On 1 September 1946 No. 620 Squadron at Aqir was renumbered No. 113 and was engaged in transport duties with Halifaxes until disbanded on 1 April 1947. The Squadron reformed on 1 May 1947 at Fairford again with Halifaxes, being disbanded on 1 September 1948. No. 113 was reformed again on 22 July 1959 at Mepal as a Thor intermediate-range ballistic missile unit until it was disbanded on 10 July 1963.

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest