Header

123 Squadron

123 SQUADRON

Motto:

Swift to strike.

Badge:

In front of two claymores in saltire, the points uppermost, a tiger's head couped.

History of 123 Squadron:

No. 123 Squadron was formed as a nucleus at Waddington on 1 February 1918 but did not become operational before disbanding on 17 August 1918. On 3 November 1918, No.123 reformed again at Upper Heyford as a Canadian-manned fighter Squadron which became No. 2 Squadron, Canadian Air Force until it was disbanded on 5 February 1920.

On 10 May 1941, No. 123 reformed at Turnhouse as a fighter Squadron and became operational on 8 June on defensive duties. In April 1942 it left for the Middle East, arriving in June but a lack of aircraft caused the Squadron to be assigned to maintenance duties in Iraq and Iran. In October 1942 Galdiators were received and the month after Hurricanes were received for air defence. In May 1943 the Squadron moved to the Western Desert for local defensive patrols until November when it moved to India. Escort missions for transports and dive-bombers began on 19 December and continued until May 1944, when the Squadron was withdrawn to southern India. Here No. 123 converted to Thunderbolts in September 1944, the Squadron returning to Burma and beginning fighter-bomber missions on 27 December, continuing until it was renumbered 81 Squadron on 20 June 1945.

  • Rate this page:

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest