Header

164 Squadron

164 SQUADRON

Motto:

"Firmes volamos" ("Firmly we fly").

Badge:

In front of the rising sun a lion passant guardant

History of 164 Squadron:

No.164 Squadron was formed on 1 June 1918 but remained a nucleus without aircraft until disbanded on 4 July 1918. On 6 April 1942, it reformed at Peterhead as a fighter squadron and became operational with Spitfires early in May. In January 1943, it moved to South Wales where it received Hurricane fighter-bombers and began training as a ground attack unit. Operations began in June against enemy shipping and coastal targets were replaced by Typhoons. Using rockets, it attacked enemy communications, radar stations and transport in preparation for the invasion of Europe. After providing support for the landing forces from southern England, the squadron moved to France in July. During the battle of Normandy, No.164 used its rockets against enemy armour in the battle area and after the breakout moved forward through northern France and Belgium in support of the 21st Army Group. For the remaining months of the war, the squadron was engaged in reconnaissance sweeps, attacking enemy transport and tanks and in April 1945 moved into its first German base. Soon after the end of the war it moved back to the UK and re-equipped with No.453 Squadron's Spitfires. On 31 August 1946, the squadron was renumbered 63 squadron.

  • Rate this page:

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest