"Suaviter in modo fortiter in re " ("Agreeably in manner, forcibly in act")
In front of two arrows in saltire, the points upwards, a velvet glove. The velvet glove is introduced to convey the idea of the iron hand within It, while the arrows "have reference to the speed with which the squadron acts".
HM King George VI, April 1945.
History of 180 Squadron:
No. 180 Squadron was formed at West Raynham, Norfolk, on 13th September 1942, as a light-bomber squadron equipped with North American Mitchells. Early in October it moved to Foulsham - also in Norfolk - and it was from there, on 22nd January 1943, that it flew its first operational mission against the enemy - a raid on oil targets at Terneuzen (Ghent) in Belgium. Of the six aircraft which took part in the raid, two failed to return. One of the missing aircraft was captained by the CO, Wing Commander CC Hodder AFC.
Along with the majority of No 2 Group's squadrons, No 180 joined No 2 TAF during 1942-43. No.180 moved to Germany as part of the occupational forces and was renumbered No.69 squadron on 31 March 1946.