"Toujours a propos (French)" ("Always at the right moment ")
A lion disjointed, ducally crowned
History of 211 Squadron:
No.211 Squadron was formed at Petite Synthe on 1 April 1918, from No.11 Squadron, RNAS. Equipped with D.H.4s and D.H.9s, it was engaged in bombing and reconnaissance duties over Flanders for the rest of the war, returning to the UK in March 1919 and disbanding on 24 June 1919.
On 24 June 1937, No.211 reformed as a day bomber squadron at Mildenhall, being equipped with Audaxes and Hinds until the arrival of Blenheims in May 1939. In April 1938 the squadron was transferred to the middle east and on the outbreak of war with Italy in June 1940, began bombing operations over Libya. Soon after the Italian invasion of Greece, No.211 was sent to reinforce the Greek Air Force and carried out bombing attacks on Italian bases in Albania until forced to evacuate its airfiels during the German attack from Bulgaria in April 1941. Next month it took part in the occupation of Syria before moving to the Sudan for operational training duties as part of No.72 OTU. At the end of the year, Japan's entry into the war caused No.211 to be dispatched to Singapore but by the time it arrived, airfields in Malaya were under constant attack and most of the squadron's operations were flown from Sumatra. After withdrawing to Java in mid-February 1942, all surviving aircraft were passed to No.84 Squadron on 19 February 1942 and the squadron personnel were dispersed.
On 14 August 1943, No.211 reformed at Phaphamau, Allahabad, as a Beaufighter squadron, receiving its first aircraft in October. It became operational on the Burma front on 13 January 1944, attacking enemy river craft and communications with rockets and cannon. In May 1945, the squadron was withdrawn to India to re-equip with Mosquitoes but did not take these into action in Burma as it was allocated to the invasion force in Malaya. The Japanese surrender forestalled this operation and in October the Squadron moved to Bangkok, where it disbanded on 15 March 1946.