Ignem mortemque despuimus - 'We spit fire and death'
A dragon rampant, flames issuing from the mouth. The dragon indicates the fighting role and the flames associate with the name Spitfire.
History of 234 Squadron:
No 234 Squadron was formed in August 1918 from Nos 350, 351, 352 and 353 Flights at the seaplane station at Tresco, Isles of Scilly, and flew anti-submarine patrols over the approaches to the English Channel until the Armistice, disbanding on 15 May 1919.
On 30 October 1939, No 234 was reformed at Leconfield as a fighter squadron. Originally intended for shipping protection duties, it flew a mixture of Blenheims, Battles and Gauntlets until March 1940, when it began to receive Spitfires, becoming operational on 11 May. Throughout the Battle of Britain, it was based in southern England and in April 1941 began sweeps over northern France. These continued between defensive patrols until January 1943, when it moved to the Orkney Islands, returning south in June. After covering the invasion beaches in Normandy, No.234 converted to Mustangs and began long range escort missions from East Anglia. A few days before the end of the war, the squadron moved to northern Scotland to escort strike Wings operating along the Norwegian coast, but returned to East Anglia in July to convert to Spitfires. These were flown until replaced by Meteors in February 1946, but on 1 September 1946 the squadron was renumbered 266 Squadron.
On 1 August 1952, No.234 reformed at Oldenburg as a Vampire ground attack squadron in Germany. In November 1953, it received Sabres for day fighter duties and replaced these with Hunters in May 1956. On 15 July 1957, the squadron was disbanded.