Speulati nuntiate - 'Having watched, bring word'
In front of a fountain, a mailed fist grasping a winged sword.
History of 236 Squadron:
No 236 Squadron was formed at Mullion in August 1918 from Nos 493, 515 and 516 Flights as a coastal reconnaissance unit with DH6s and for the remaining months of the war flew anti-submarine patrols off south-west England. It disbanded on 15 May 1919.
On 31 October 1939, No 236 Squadron reformed at Stradishall in Fighter Command and received Blenheim fighters in December. It moved to North Coates at the end of February 1940 to join Coastal Command, but reverted to Fighter Command in April on arrival at Speke. During May and June the squadron flew defensive patrols over shipping in the English Channel and on 4 July rejoined Coastal Command for fighter and reconnaissance duties. A detachment was based in Northern Ireland from 18 September, which became No.272 Squadron on 19 November, but the bulk of the squadron's operations were flown from Cornwall and Pembrokeshire until 9 February 1942, when it moved to East Anglia and became a cadre unit, its Beaufighters having been withdrawn from service with other squadrons. It became operational again on 15 March with Beaufighters, which it used for escort and shipping reconnaissance missions. In July 1942 it began taking part in attacks on enemy shipping off the Dutch coast, while detachments flew patrols over the Bay of Biscay to protect Coastal's anti-submarine aircraft from enemy fighters. In April 1943, a strike wing was formed at North Coates. No.236 joined it and remained an anti-shipping unit until the end of the war disbanding on 25 May 1945.