Il faut en finir - 'It is necessary to make an end of it'
A demi-sword in bend partly withdrawn from the scabbard.
History of 248 Squadron:
No 248 Squadron was formed in august 1918 form Nos 404, 405 and 453 Flights at the seaplane station at Hornsea Mere and flew coastal patrols off the Yorkshire coast until the end of the war. It was disbanded on 6 March 1919.
On 30 October 1939, No 248 reformed at Hendon with an establishment of eighteen Blenheim 1fs for night defence duties and received its first operational aircraft early in December. Lacking any form of radar, its initial night flying was ineffective and at the end of February 1940 it was transferred to Coastal Command, equipped with seven Blenheim Mk.IVFs. It moved to North Coates and later to Thorney Island and Gosport, where it acquired its full number of Blenheims. On 22 May the squadron returned to Fighter Command on its movement to Dyce, a detachment being based at Montrose to extend the coverage of its patrols over the coastal waters of eastern Scotland. On 20 June, it was once more transferred to Coastal for reconnaissance flights off the Norwegian coast and attacks on enemy shipping from the Shetlands, where it had moved at the end of July. In January 1941 it deployed further south to Dyce and flew escort patrols over coastal convoys and reconnaissance missions, using Wick as a detached base. In June 1941, No.248 moved to Bircham Newton to re-equip with Beaufighters and began operations with these on 14 August. Apart from protecting coastal convoys, the Beaufighters were also were also used for attacks on enemy shipping off the Dutch coast and from September to December a detachment covered the Western Approaches to the Channel from Cornwall. In February 1942, the squadron returned to Scotland for long-range fighter patrols over the North Sea and at the end of July sixteen of the squadron's aircraft left on the first stage of a flight to Malta, all arriving safely by 10 August. After escorting a vital relief convoy to Malta and attacking enemy airfields in Sicily the aircrews returned to the UK leaving their aircraft in Malta. They rejoined the ground echelon at Talbenny, which was used as a base for fighter patrols over the Bay of Biscay in support of coastal's anti-submarine aircraft. In addition, escorts were provided for strike aircraft attacking enemy shipping off the French coast and in December 1943 conversion to Mosquitoes began, these being used for fighter reconnaissance missions. With the elimination of German shipping from the area, No.248 moved to Banff for anti-shipping operations as part of a strike wing for the rest of the war. After flying its last operation on 4 May 1945 the sqaudron moved to Chivenor in July and was renumbered 36 Squadron on 30 September 1946.