A man in armour, couped at the shoulders
History of 272 Squadron:
No 272 Squadron was formed on 25 July 1918 at Machrihanish from Mos.531, 532 and 533 Flights as a coastal reconnaissance unit and flew anti-submarine patrols over the approaches to the Clyde until the end of the war, disbanding in 5 March 1919.
On 19 November 1940, No.272 reformed at Aldergrove and merged one flight each from Nos.235 and 236 Squadrons to form the basis of the squadron. Its Blenheims began operations on the following day and it flew shipping escort patrols until April 1941, when it converted to Beaufighters, being earmarked for transfer to the Middle East. The first six aircraft left on 24 May and the first squadron aircraft to reach Egypt arrived on 28 May. It set out next day to provide fighter cover for the evacuation of Crete and was joined by others as they arrived in the next few days, the squadron being complete by 1 June. As the only effective long-range fighter squadron in the area, No.272 was active immediately on convoy escort and intruder missions, supplemented by periodic escort duty for other anti-shipping squadrons. Long-range ground attack sorties continued over Egypt and Libya until the squadron was transferred to Malta in November 1942, for similar attacks on Sicily and Tunisia. In September 1943, it moved to Sicily and in February 1944 to Sardinia, using these bases for attacks on the Italian mainland and the coast of southern France. In September 1944, No.272 moved to Italy for attacks around the Adriatic coasts, flying its last operation on 18 April 1945 and disbanding on 30 April 1945.