"Vita ex undis abrepta" ("Life snatched from the waves")
An eagle volant carrying in the claws a lifebelt
History of 294 Squadron:
No.294 Squadron was formed on 24 September 1943 from the Air-sea Rescue Flight at Berka, equipped with Wellingtons and Walruses for rescue duties in the Eastern Mediterranean. Detachments were provided in Libya, Cyprus and Palestine and later Greece. In November 1944, Warwicks supplemented the Wellingtons and in addition to ASR missions, the squadron also flew anti-submarine patrols. In June 1945, No.294 moved to Basra and supplied detachments for the Persian Gulf and Arabian Sea areas until disbanded on 8 April 1946.