History of 303 Squadron:
No.303 Squadron was formed at Northolt on 22 July 1940, with Polish personnel evacuated from France and became operational with Hurricaes before the end of the month. It took part in the Battle of Britain until mid-October, when it was withdrawn to Yorkshire for defensive duties. In January 1941 it returned to Northolt to re-equip with Spitfires and began offensive sweeps over France. In July 1941 it moved to Speke for the defence of Merseyside returning south in October to resume offensive operations. In June 1942, No.303 moved to Lincolnshire and in February 1943, came back to the south for a period of sweeps. In November 1943, the squadron was transferred to Northern Ireland where it provided protection for shipping arriving in the Clyde and Irish Sea areas. In April 1944, it joined Second TAF in readiness for the landings in Normandy but remained in England, moving to East Anglia to provide fighter escort for Bomber Command raids, and carry out armed reconnaissance missions over the Netherlands. In April 1945, No.303 converted to Mustangs but flew only two operations with these before the end of the war. On 26 November 1946, all flying ceased and the squadron disbanded on 11 December 1946.