History of 315 Squadron:
No 315 Squadron was formed at Acklington on 21 January 1941 as a fighter squadron, and moved to Speke in mid-March to become operational with Hurricanes in the defence of Merseyside. In July it moved to Northolt and converted to Spitfires, beginning sweeps over northern France. After returning to Lancashire for five months, it resumed offensive operations in September 1942 until withdrawn in June 1943, first to Yorkshire and a month later to Northern Ireland. No.315 joined Second TAF to form part of the defences against the flying bombs which had started to arrive in southern England. In duties supporting Bomber Command's daylight raids on Germany, but a month later was transferred to northern Scotland. From Peterhead, it flew patrols off the Norwegian coast to protect Coastal Command strike wings attacking enemy shipping. In January 1945, it returned to East Anglia and flew sweeps over the Netherlands for the rest of the war. Remaining in Fighter Command after the end of the war, No.315 was disbanded on 14 January 1947.