History of 318 Squadron:
No 318 Squadron was formed at Delting on 20 March 1943 for tactical reconnaissance duties, and received Hurricanes for training purposes. In August the squadron left for the Middle East, where it took part in training with the Polish Army before leaving for Italy in April 1944. Now equipped with Spitfires, it flew ground attack and tactical reconnaissance missions in support of the 8th Army for the rest of the war. In August 1946 the squadron handed over its aircraft and left for the UK, where it disbanded on 31 August 1946.