Rajawali raja langit (Malay) - 'Eagle King of the sky'
An eagle, wings elevated, perched on a torpedo.
Hisrory of 36 Squadron:
No. 36 Squadron was formed on 18 March 1916 from the Home Defence Flight at Cramlington, Northumberland, for the defence of the coast between Newcastle and Whitby against Zeppelin raids. After the Zeppelin raids finished the Squadron undertook training duties for the rest of the war and was disbanded on 13 June 1919. On 1 October 1928, the Coast Defence Torpedo Flight was re-designated No. 36 Squadron flying Horsleys until it left for Singapore in October 1930. The Squadron was re-equipped with Vildebeests in July 1935 which were still in service when WW2 broke out. The Squadron lost its last aircraft on 7 March 1942 and the Squadron ceased to exist the following day. No. 36 was reformed in India on 22 October 1942 and received its first Wellingtons in mid-December. The Squadron was moved to Algeria on 7 June 1943 where detachments operated from various bases on anti-submarine patrols and in September 1944 the Squadron moved to Chivenor for similar duties. In March 1945 the Squadron moved to Benbecula where it was disbanded on 4 June of the same year. On 1 October 1946, No. 248 Squadron at Thorney Island was renumbered 36 Squadron and flew Mosquitoes until disbanding on 15 October 1947. On 1 July 1953 the Squadron was reformed at Topcliffe flying Neptunes for maritime reconnaissance duties, disbanding again on 28 February 1957. On 1 September 1958 No. 36 was reformed again at Colerne as a transport unit flying Hastings. The Squadron was then re-located to Lyneham and re-equipped with Hercules becoming operational on 26 September 1967. The Squadron remained here until it was disbanded on 3 November 1975