History of 521 Squadron:
No.521 Squadron was formed at Bricham Newton on 1 August 1942 from No.1401 Flight for meteorlogical duties over the North Sea and Europe. Hudsons and Blenheims carried out the North Sea flights, while Spitfires and Mosquitoes were used over enemy territory and Gladiators for local weather flights. On 31 March 1943, the squadron divided into Nos.1401 and 1409 (Met) Flights.
On 1 September 1943, No.521 reformed at Docking with Hampdens, Hudsons and Gladiators, Venturas became the main type by the end of the year and Hurricanes arrived in August 1944 to supplement the old Gladiators which, despite their age, continued to fly sorties until March 1945. Hudsons reappeared in September 1944, as the Venturas were required by other units, and in December Fortresses were received to become the only long-range type by the end of the war. In November 1945, the squadron moved to Devon and disbanded on 1 April 1946.