"Silently we serve"
In front of a flash of lightning, a crystal
History of 527 Squadron:
No.527 Squadron was formed at Castle Camps on 15 June 1943 for radar calibration duties with Blenheims and Hurricanes. The squadron was engaged in calibrating radar stations in southern England and East Anglia and later added Hornet Moths and Spitfires to its strength. On 1 September 1944 it absorbed No.528 Squadron at Digby, adding Oxfords to its establishment and extending its coverage to Lincolnshire. On 1 May 1945, No.526 was similary taken over and the squadron standardised on Spitfires, Wellingtons, Oxfords and Dominies, the latter being based at Inverness for communications flying. In November 1945, the squadron moved to Watton where it disbanded on 15 April 1946.
On 1 August 1952, N and R Calibration Squadrons of the Central Signal Establishment at Watton were redesignated No.527 Squadron. A variety of types were flown until 21 August 1958, when it was renumbered No.245 Squadron.