History of 530 Squadron:
No.530 Squadron was formed at Hunsdon on 2 September 1942 from No.1451 (Turbinlite) Flight. Turbinlite aircraft were Havocs and Bostons fitted with airbourne searchlights which were intended to use radar for intercepting enemy aircraft and, at the right moment, illuminate them for the benefit of accompanying fighters. Hurricanes were supplied when the turbinlite squadrons were formed, their predecessors having flown only the light-equipped aircraft in co-operation with other fighter squadrons. Lack of success and the development of improved airbourne radar resulted in the disbandment of turbinlite squadrons on 25 January 1943.