RAF Banner with Crest.

621 Squadron

621 SQUADRON

Motto:

"Ever ready to strike"

Badge:

A hooded Cobra

History of 621 Squadron:

No 621 Squadron was formed at Port Reitz, Kenya on 12 September 1943 as a general reconnaissance unit and began to receive Wellingtons a few days later. On 19 September, a detachment began operating from Mogadishu in the former Italian colony of Somaliland, which on 4 November was joined by the squadron headquaters. The squadron's patrol area covered the approaches to the Red sea, but Aden was found to be a more suitable base for the squadron, detachments being based on the Arabian coast and in Somaliland to cover a wider area. Patrols continued until the end of the war, when the squadron was moved to Egypt and began converting to Warwicks. These were flown on air-sea rescue duties, being supplemented by Lancasters in April 1946. Conversion to the latter type had just been completed when No.621 was renumbered No.18 Squadron on 1 September 1946.

  • Rate this page:

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest