History of 681 Squadron:
No.681 Squadron was formed from No.3 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit at Dum Dum on 25 January 1943. Equipped with Spitfires, Hurricanes and Mitchells, it flew photographic reconnaissance missions over Burma and Siam. In August 1943 it began to receive Mosquitoes, but in December standardised on Spitfire XIs. For the rest of the war, it kept watch on enemy ports and railways in South-East Asia, and in September 1945, moved to Hong Kong. In December 1945 a detachment began operating in Java, while another spent a month in French Indo-China before the squadron changed its base to Seletar in January 1946. A further detachment was based in Siam until April, when the squadron left for India. On 1 August 1946, it was renumbered No.34 Squadron.