"Volamus ut serviamus" ("We fly to serve")
In front of a sword and anchor in saltire, a popinjay
History of 691 Squadron:
No.691 Squadron was formed on 1 December 1943 at Roborough from No.1623 Flight for anti-aircraft co-operation duties in south-west England. Initially equipped with Defiants, Hurricanes and Oxfords, it received Barracudas later. At the end of the war, Vengances, Martinets and Spitfires were taken on strength and the last two types, with Oxfords, remained the main equipment of the squadron until it was renumbered No.17 Sqaudron on 11 February 1949.