Nil nobis obstare potest - 'Nothing can stand without us'
A salamander salient. The salamander is always ready to face any danger.
History of 79 Squadron:
No 79 Squadron was formed at Gosport on 1 august 1917 and moved to France as a fighter unit in December. Until the end of the war it carries out fighter patrols and ground attack missions with Dolphins and after the Armistice moved to Germany as part of the occupation forces, disbanding there on 15 July 1919.
On 22 March 1937, B Flight of No 32 Squadron at Biggin Hill became No 79 Squadron and flew Gauntlets until the arrival of Hurricanes at the end of 1938. After the outbreak of war, it flew defensive patrols and in May 1940 was sent to France for ten days when the German offensive opened. After taking part in the Battle of Britain the squadron moved to South Wales until the end of 1941, when it began to prepare for a move to India. On 4 March 1942 it sailed for the Far East arriving in India on 20 June. Until December it flew defensive patrols before beginning to take part in sweeps over Burma. These continued until July 1943 and were resumed in December after a period of rest and refitting. In May 1944, No. 79 was withdrawn for re-equipment with Thunderbolts which were taken into action in September. Ground attack and escort missions occupied the Squadron until the end of the war and it disbanded on 30 December 1945.
On 15 November 1951, No. 79 reformed at Gutersloh as a fighter-reconnaissance unit. Swifts replaced the Squadron's Meteors in the summer of 1956 and were flown until it was renumbered 4 Squadron on 1 January 1961.