Queen's Colours History
Queen’s Colours are awarded by the Sovereign in recognition of Service achievement and they are presented by the Sovereign or a person nominated to act on the Sovereign’s behalf. Nine of them have been awarded to formations and establishments of the Royal Air Force and one to the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. A Colour measures 3ft 9in square and is affixed to a pike 8ft 2in in length surmounted by a Royal Crown in gold.
On 27th December 1947, King George VI signified approval to the award of Colours to the Royal Air Force in the United Kingdom, the Royal Air Force College Cranwell and No 1 School of Technical Training. Of the seven current Colours, the first Colour was presented by King George VI to the Royal Air Force College Cranwell on 6th July 1948. The second was presented by The Queen (then HRH The Princess Elizabeth), acting on behalf of King George VI, to the Royal Air Force in the United Kingdom on 26th May 1951. The third Colour was presented by The Queen to No 1 School of Technical Training on 25th July 1952. Since then, The Queen has presented Colours to: the Royal Air Force Regiment on 17th March 1953; the Central Flying School on 26th June 1969; the Royal Auxiliary Air Force on 12th June 1989 and Royal Air Force Halton on 31st October 1997. Queen’s Colours are normally replaced every 15 years.