Battle of Britain No.222 Squadron
Battle of Britain history of No. 222 Squadron.
Pambili bo (Zulu) - 'Go straight ahead'
A wildebeeste in full course. The wildebeeste comes from the armorial bearings of Natal, the squadron being the Natal gift squadron; the wildebeeste also symbolises speed.
No 222 Squadron was formed at Thasos on 1 April 1918, from A and Z Squadrons of the former No 2 Wing, RNAS when the Royal Air Force was formed. Renumbered No 62 Wing and consisting of Nos 478, 479 and 480 Flights, the squadron was given the task of maintaining raids on Turkish targets in Macedonia and Thrace, operating from island in the Northern No 234 Squadron was formed in August 1918 from Nos 350, 351, 352 and 353 Flights at the seaplane station at Tresco, Isles of Scilly, and flew anti-submarine patrols over the approaches to the English Channel until the Armistice, disbanding on 15 May 1919.
On 5 October 1939, No 222 reformed at Duxford as a shipping protection squadron and received Blenheims but in March 1940 it re-equipped with Spitfires as a day fighter unit. In May 1940 it moved to Essex to help cover the Dunkirk evacuation before returning to Lincolnshire and at the end of August again came back to the London area for the last part of the Battle of Britain.
A Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1 in 222 Squadron markings
Kirton in Lindsay 4 June 1939
Hornchurch 29 August 1940