Battle of Britain No.253 Squadron
Battle of Britain history of No. 253 Squadron.
Come one, come all
The back of a dexter arm embowed, fessewise, in Mogul armour, the hand holding an Indian battle-axe. The squadron became the Hyderabad gift squadron and the badge was suggested by the Nizam of Hyderabad as appropriate.
No 253 Squadron was formed on 7 June 1918 at Bembridge, Isle of Wight, as a coastal patrol unit. Two flights (Nos 412 and 413) of seaplanes operated from Bembridge Harbour while two more flights (Nos 511 and 512) flew from a nearby airfield at Foreland with DH6s. After flying anti-submarine patrols until the Armistice, the squadron disbanded on 31 May 1919.
On 30 October 1939, No 253 Squadron reformed at Manston and was originally intended as a shipping protection unit with Blenheims. None were delivered, however, and the squadron began to receive Hurricanes in February 1940, becoming operational on 3 April. In May 1940 one flight was sent to France to reinforce the hard-pressed Hurricane squadrons while the second flight flew daily to French airfields from 17 to 23 May. After re-equipping in Lincolnshire, No 253 took part in the Battle of Britain from the end of August.
A Hawker Hurricane Mk 1 in 253 Squadron markings
Kirton-in-Lindsey 24 May 1940
Turnhouse 21 July 1940
Prestwick 23 August 1940
Kenley (A) 29 August 1940
Kenley (G) 16 September 1940