Battle of Britain No.610 Squadron
Battle of Britain history of No. 610 Squadron.
Alifero tollitur axe ceres - 'Ceres rising in a winged car'
A garb. A wheatsheaf was chosen as such charges appear in the armorial bearings of the City of Chester; No 610 Squadron was the County of Chester Squadron.
No 610 Squadron was formed at Hooton Park on 10 February 1936 as a day bomber unit of the Auxiliary Air Force. Initially equipped with Harts, it began flying training in May 1936 and in May 1938 re-equipped with Hinds. On 1 January 1939, the squadron was redesignated a fighter unit but retained its Hinds in anticipation of the arrival of Defiants. On the outbreak of war it received Hurricanes, but by the end of September 1939 had exchanged these for Spitfires, becoming operational on 21 October. When the German offensive opened in May 1940, No 609 moved to Biggin Hill and helped to provide fighter cover for the Dunkirk evacuation beaches and shipping, then taking part in the Battle of Britain.
A Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1 in 610 Squadron markings
Gravesend 26 May 1940
Biggin Hill 2 July 1940
Acklington 31 August 1940