Bomber Command No.466 Squadron RAAF
No. 466 Squadron RAAF
Badge: No badge authorised.
No. 466 Squadron RAAF was formed at Driffield, Yorkshire, on 15th October 1942, as a medium-bomber squadron, equipped with Wellington aircraft and under the control of No. 4 Group. It moved to Leconfield in December 1942, but returned to Driffield in June 1944, and remained based there for the rest of the European war.
Beginning operations against the enemy on 13th January 1943, with a minelaying or Gardening mission off the Frisian Islands, the squadron continued with Wellingtons until the end of August 1943, and during this period dropped 620 tons of bombs and laid 330 tons of mines. Halifax B.IIIs replaced the Wellingtons (which were disposed of in September), and with these No. 466, during the remainder of the European war, made 170 raids on 92 different targets.
On 7th May 1945 No. 466 was transferred to Transport Command.
Bomber Command WWII Bases:
Formed 15.10.42 as No. 466(B) Squadron at
- Driffleld : Oct 1942-Dec 1942
- Leconfield : Dec 1942-Jun 1944
- Driffield : Jun 1944 onwards
Bomber Command WWII Aircraft:
- Vickers Wellington III and X : Oct 1942-Sep 1943
- Handley Page Halifax B.II and B.III : Sep 1943 onwards
First Operational Mission in WWII:
- 13th January 1943 - 5 Wellingtons laid mines off Frisian islands & another Wellington aborted.
Last Operational Mission in WWII:
- 25th April 1945 - 18 Halifaxes bombed gun batteries on island of Wangerooge.