Welcome to St Athan

2014 home page banner
No 4 School of Technical Training White Space

No 4 SCHOOL OF TECHNICAL TRAINING (No 4SoTT) was the first unit to form at Royal Air Force St Athan back in September 1938 and has been in continuous use as a training school ever since.

The Unit Badge has the motto ‘Knowledge Sustains’ and was presented to the school by King George VI in August 1944 and is symbolic of the arms of the radial engines used on heavy bomber aircraft of the time.

Although originally formed to train airframe and engine fitters and mechanics, the School’s task changed abruptly in 1942, training Flight Engineers to meet the increased wartime demand for aircrew. Between 1941 and 1951 a total of 22,595 Flight Engineers, including Norman Jackson VC, passed through the School. 1947 saw the introduction of engineering apprentices and in 1955 the boy entrant scheme started here. Such was the size of the School through this period that the commandant was an Air Commodore who also acted as the Station Commander of Royal Air Force St Athan.

In 1992, Aircraft Battle Damage Repair (ABDR) training moved to the School from Royal Air Force Abingdon. ABDR training flight trained battle damage repair instructors and assessors, including many from the other Services and overseas. The flight also undertook research and development of damage repair techniques and documentation as well as assisting in the operational evaluation of ABDR capability at units throughout NATO. This element is also part of the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering and moved to Royal Air Force Cosford in March 2006.

Since 1977, following a rationalisation of training throughout the Royal Air Force, No 4 SoTT has been commanded by a Wing Commander or the Engineering Branch. The School now provides the specialist training of airmen and airwomen employed in the trades of General Engineering Technician Electrical, Mechanical and Workshops. In April 2004, No 4 SoTT joined the newly formed Defence College of Electro Mechanical Engineering as part of the rationalisation of training under the Defence Training Review and has more recently become part of the Defence College of Technical Training.

No 4 SoTT is proud of its history and tradition, but it is also strives to remain at the forefront of training and delivery methods, accepting the many changes that come with the dynamic development of air power. As in the past, No 4 SoTT produces engineering tradesmen or the highest calibre who form the backbone of engineering support with the Royal Air Force.


Latest News

THE COMMONWEALTH FLAG

Commonwealth Flag Teaser.jpg

10 March 2014

THE COMMONWEALTH FLAG flew for the first time over the Vale of Glamorgan by request of HM Queen Elizabeth. This is the first time in the UK that the flag has been requested to be flown outside London, bringing together 53 countries worldwide flying the flag to mark Commonwealth

Read full article

VISIT BY THE CHIEF OF THE AIR STAFF

2014 CAS VISIT TEASER

04 March 2014

CHIEF OF THE AIR STAFF, Air Chief Marshal (ACM) Sir Andrew Pulford KCB CBE ADC RAF took the opportunity to meet some of the RAF’s newest personnel in training on his recent visit to MOD St Athan in South Wales.

Read full article

Station News

RAF Airmen Receiving his Sports Colours

Find out whats been going on at MOD St Athan

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest