In front of two bones in saltire, a skull - approved by King George VI in November 1937. The badge was the official version of a motif used by the Squadron on the Western Front in 1917.
Sarang tebuan jangan dijolok - 'Never stir up a hornet's nest'.
1917 - Formed at Hingham.
Current Aircraft and Location:
Current Aircraft: Hawk
Current Location: RAF Leeming
Western Front 1917-1918, Ypres 1917*, Somme 1918*, Independent Force and Germany 1918*, Malaya 1941-1942*, Fortress Europe 1943-1944*, Biscay Ports 1943-1945, Ruhr 1943-1945, Berlin 1943-1945*, German Ports 1943-1945, Baltic 1943-1945, France and Germany 1944-1945, Normandy 1944*, Walcheren.
(Honours marked with an asterisk, may be emblazoned on the Squadron Standard)
History of 100 Squadron:
The first RFC squadron to be formed specifically for night bombing, Number 100 Squadron formed at Hingham, Norfolk on 23 February 1917, and moved to France a month later. On arrival it was issued with modified FE2B two-seat pushers biplanes and operations against aerodromes, railway stations and rail junctions commenced. By the end of the year, No 100 in conjunction with No 55 Squadron, RFC and Naval 'A' Squadron had formed the nucleus of what was to become the Independent Force used for the strategic bombing of Germany with its Handley Page 0/400 heavy bombers.
After the War, the unit remained on the continent for a year before transferring to Baldonnel in Ireland and re-equipping with Bristol Fighters. These aircraft were used to support the Army and security forces in the fight against Sinn Fein in the Dublin area. With the division of the island in 1922, the Squadron returned to England and bombing duties, this time with Vimys and DH9As. By the turn of the decade, No 100 was undertaking torpedo-bombing and received Vildebeests in 1931, the squadron title being changed during 1933 to reflect this new role. At the end of that year, the unit moved to Singapore, and its ancient aircraft stood little chance of stopping the Japanese advance, and eventually the Squadron, and its sister Vildebeest unit, No 36, had been decimated.
On 15 December 1942, No 100 Squadron reformed at Waltham with Lancasters and commenced operations over Germany, surviving the post-war defence cuts and moving to Malaya to join Operation Firedog with its Lincolns during 1950. Four years later, No 100 moved to Kenya during the Mau Mau uprising, before returning to England and converting to the Canberra. The Canberras were used for trials work in conjunction with British nuclear tests in the Pacific, before disbanding again in 1959. Reformed at Wittering as part of the V-Force, the unit survived until September 1968 following withdrawal of the Blue Steel stand-off weapon. No 100 Squadron returned to Canberra flying when it was reformed at West Raynham in February 1972, this time to provide target towing facilities for RAF fighter squadrons, later undertaking specialist electronic warfare training before the Canberras were finally retired at the end of 1991 and replaced by the Hawk. With the closure of its base, RAF Wyton, the unit moved to Finningley, only to be forced to relocate to Leeming in 1995 when this station was closed down.
100 Squadron now operates in a mixed target facilities role along with exercise and training support which include WSO training, and dedicated aircraft to support the Joint Forward Air Controllers Training and Standards Unit. On the 2nd November 2010, 100 Squadron received a new Squadron Standard from Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Cornwall, and Honorary Air Commodore to RAF Leeming.