On a hurt, seven mullets of six points forming a representation of the constellation Ursa Major - approved by King George VI in June 1939.
Per diem, per noctem - By day and by night
1914 - Formed at Farnborough.
1940 - First unit to be issued with four-engined Stirling bombers.
2000 - Took part in the Operation Palliser in Sierra Leone.
Current Aircraft and Location:
Current Aircraft: Chinook
Current Location: RAF Odiham
Western Front 1915-1918, Ypres 1915, Loos, Somme 1916, Ypres 1917, Fortress Europe 1941-1944, Biscay Ports 1941-1944, Ruhr 1942-1945, German Ports 1942-1945, Berlin 1943-1945, France and Germany 1944-1945, Normandy 1944, Rhine, Kosovo, Iraq 2003*.
(Honours marked with an asterisk, may be emblazoned on the Squadron Standard)
The History of 7 Squadron:
No sooner had No 7 Squadron formed at Farnborough on 1 May 1914, when it was disbanded to bring other Squadrons up to strength. After reforming in September, the Squadron moved to France in April 1915 immediately joining the Second Battle of Ypres with RE5s and Vickers FB5 fighters. In July 1915, Capt J A Liddle MC and his observer Lt RM Peck were hit by ground fire. Liddle suffered a broken thigh, but managed to return his aircraft home. Sadly, four weeks later Liddle died of septic poisoning, but was awarded the VC for his determination and gallantry in saving Pecks life.
During 1916, the Squadron standardised on BE2s and then received RE8s in 1917 still in its observation role. The Squadron returned home in 1919 and disbanded at the end of the year.
After reforming with Vickers Vimys in 1923 at Bircham Newton, it was designated a heavy bomber unit. The Vimys were replaced by Virginias in 1924 and the unit transferred to Worthy Down in 1927. In the following decade the squadron gained a reputation for outstanding accuracy and won many bombing competitions.
Heyford bombers arrived in 1935, but it wasn't until 1938 that monoplanes in the form of Whitleys arrived. No 7 was the first squadron to received the first of the RAF's four-engined heavy bombers, the Stirling in 1940, but serious problems meant that operational sorties could not be carried out until the night of 10/11 February 1941 when the squadron attacked oil storage tanks at Rotterdam. In 1943, No 7 was one of the initial squadrons which formed the Pathfinder Force and converted to Lancasters.
The Squadron took part in operations in Malaya in 1949 equipped with Lincolns and in 1956 reformed with Valiants as part of the famous V-Force, flying them until disbandment in 1962. In 1970 the Squadron reformed, this time flying Canberras on target-towing tasks.
In 1982, the Squadron re-equipped with Chinook helicopters, and has kept these since then. Currently based at Odiham, the Squadron, in conjunction with other Chinook units, has seen a number of operational deployments in recent years to such areas as the former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq.