Two Royal Air Force police raising the ensign

Stations

Station Name: RAF Shawbury

Location: Shrewsbury, Shrops

Postcode: SY4 4DZ

Station overview

Shawbury, near Shrewsbury in Shropshire, has been a training airfield since opening initially in 1917 as No 9 Training Depot Station, Royal Flying Corps. Following its closure after the First World War the station re-opened, in 1938, as home to No 11 Flying Training School and No 27 Maintenance Unit. In 1944 pilot training was re-located and the Central Navigation School was established at Shawbury joined, in 1950, by air traffic control training which was moved from RAF Watchfield. In October 1944 the first British aircraft to fly round the world, Lancaster PD 328, departed Shawbury and returned on 14 December having completed a 36,000 nm flight. Up until recently No 6 Flight Army Air Corps (Volunteers), which operated Gazelle Helicopters was stationed here, The squadron was disbanded however. Today Shawbury’s two main training units are the Central Air Traffic Control School, established in 1963, and the tri-Service Defence Helicopter Flying School, established in 1997 on the demise of No 2 Flying Training School, which operates the Squirrel HT1 and Griffin HT1, supported by the resident contractor, FB Heliservices Ltd. Also located at Shawbury are the rotary element of the Central Flying School and the Air Traffic Examining Board.

Go to RAF Shawbury site

RAF Shawbury Station Crest
 

Search again

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest