Number 10 Squadron
Aircraft: Airbus A330 Voyager K2/K3
Motto: Rem acu tangere - To hit the mark.
Badge: A winged arrow - approved by King George VI in September 1937. The badge was designed by Wg Cdr Whitelock while watching archery practice in Oxford. He thought the bomb was the modern equivalent of the medieval arrow, and the wings were added to indicate great speed.
Battle Honours: Western Front 1915-1918, Loos, Somme 1916, Arras, Somme 1918, Channel and North Sea 1940-1945, Norway 1940, Ruhr 1940-1945, Fortress Europe 1940-1944, German Ports 1940-1945, Biscay Ports 1940-1945, Berlin 1940-1945, Invasion Ports 1940, France and Germany 1944-1945, Norway 1944, Rhine, Gulf 1991, Iraq 2003*.
(Honours marked with an asterisk, may be emblazoned on the Squadron Standard).
History of Number 10 Squadron
Number 10 Squadron, Royal Flying Corp, was formed from elements of No. 1 Reserve Squadron at Farnborough airfield on 1 January, 1915, with the customary selection of types. In July, the Squadron moved to St Omer, France and a month later began spotting duties with its Royal Aircraft Factory B. E. (Blériot Experimental) 2Cs for the Indian Corps during the Battle of Loos. The Squadron's next major action was during the Battle of Arras in April 1917 where, as well as spotting duties, it carried out bombing sorties. After the Armistice, No. 10 Squadron spent a short period in Germany prior to returning to the UK and its inevitable disbandment came at the end of 1919.
In January 1928, No. 10 Squadron was reformed, within the Royal Air Force, as a heavy night bomber unit at RAF Upper Heyford, equipped with Handley Page Hyderabads, before moving to RAF Boscombe Down in 1931. During the 1930s a succession of biplane bomber types were flown, including the Handley Page Hinaidi (variant of Hyderabad), Vickers Virginia and Handley Page Heyford aircraft. In January 1937, the Squadron moved to RAF Dishforth as part of No. 4 Group, Bomber Command, and shortly after that received its first monoplane bomber, the Armstrong Whitworth Whitley.
During the early months of the Second World War, the Squadron carried out leaflet-dropping raids over Germany before the, more modern, Handley Page Halifax aircraft arrived in late 1941; these stayed with No. 10 Squadron throughout the remainder of the War as part of Bomber Command's heavy bomber force. In May 1945, the Squadron transferred to Transport Command and were equipped with Douglas C-47 Dakotas. After spending a short time in India, the Squadron was disbanded again in December 1947, only to reform a year later for the Berlin Airlift, when No. 238 Squadron was renumbered to No. 10 Squadron. During the Berlin Airlift, No. 10 Squadron flew Dakotas from Lubeck, in Germany, but was again disbanded after the blockade was lifted.
For a four-year period, during the mid-1950s, the Squadron re-equipped with the English Electric Canberra aircraft, and was involved in operations during the Suez Crisis. Another period as a bomber Squadron followed when, during the period 1958 to 1964, No. 10 Squadron flew Handley Page Victors, from RAF Cottesmore, before assuming its current guise as one of the RAF's long-range transport squadrons after taking charge of the first of the new Vickers VC10 C1 aircraft at RAF Fairford in July 1966. The Squadron moved to its current base, RAF Brize Norton, in May of the following year and, since then, has been involved in almost all of the UK's major operations and recently became a dual tanker/transport Squadron when its aircraft were fitted with air-to-air refuelling pods.
In October 2005, No. 10 Squadron disbanded and its aircraft were transferred to No 101 Squadron, however, in July 2011, the Squadron was reformed, at RAF Brize Norton, and became the first RAF Squadron to operate the new Airbus A330 'Voyager' K2/K3 aircraft.
The aim of the BRAVOS is to recognise service personnel, MOD civil servants and contractors who, through selfless commitment and dedication, have made a significant contribution to RAF Brize Norton and the surrounding community...BRAVOS Awards, read more...