As part of the forces involved in the 1913 army manoeuvres, 3 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps deployed to Halton to support the operations of the Household Division. They set up a temporary airfield on what was later to become the Maitland Parade Square, which was at the time pasture. Alfred Rothschild offered his estate as a training ground in 1914. Twenty thousand troops descended on Halton and lived in tents as they trained for the Western front. The weather forced the military authorities to erect more durable buildings and in 1916 the Royal Flying Corps moved into a semi-established camp. Old Workshops was built in 1917, using German PoW labour, and the current airfield was established. Alfred Rothschild died in 1918. The Royal Flying Corps had been established as the Royal Air Force and it needed permanent bases. They had already invested a considerable amount in the workshops and accommodation they had built at Halton and so eventually bought the whole property to house the new No 1 School of Technical Training. A major building programme produced barrack blocks, messes and an education block to replace the wartime huts.