No 612 (County of Aberdeen) Squadron, RAuxAF
Under the functional control of Tactical Medical Wing at RAF Lyneham, No 612 Squadron, based at RAF Leuchars, provides field hospital based medical and surgical support to the Armed Forces in times of conflict or war. The unit has a 25-bed capacity, including 2 intensive treatment beds, and is capable of holding 25 patients for up to 48 hours. Additionally, the Squadron has the flexibility to augment regular RAF medical emergency response teams and Role 2 facilities.
The Squadron’s history dates back to 1937 when, as a flying Squadron, it gained distinguished service during WWII. Before disbandment in 1945 the Squadron earned 9 DFC’s, 1 DSO and 1DFM. 612 Squadron was reformed in 1946 and again disbanded in 1957. The present Squadron, in its new role, was formed in 1997 and received the honour of being awarded the 612 (County of Aberdeen) Squadron number.
One of the first operational roles of the Squadron was to provide the medical and nursing support for 33 Field Hospital for two weeks of Exercise Saif Sarea II in Oman. During this period the Squadron cared for over 100 inpatient military personnel suffering mostly from heat injuries.
The majority of 612 Squadron staff were mobilised during the early phase of Operation Telic. An additional 612 Squadron deployment was then undertaken for Operation Telic 8, which consisted of a skill mix totalling some 25 medical personnel.
Fully qualified medical personnel are recruited from the NHS and Private Health sectors to train on a part time basis. Anyone interested in finding out more about service with 612 Squadron should contact the Recruiting Office on 01334 839471 Ext. 7974 or visit the web site at http://www.rafreserves.com/