614 (County of Glamorgan)
More about this squadron
**614 Sqn has an Information Brief on 19 July 2014 for people interested in a role within the RAF Reserves. The brief will be held at the Ty Llewellyn Reserves Centre Cardiff, commencing 1030hrs and will finish at approximately 1230 hrs.**
Formation and early years
No 614 (County of Glamorgan) Squadron formed at RAF Pengam Moors near Cardiff as an army co-operation unit as part of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF) on 1 June 1937. The Squadron was initially equipped with Hawker Hinds. By the end of the 1937 it had received additional Hawker Hectors which were flown until 1939 when the Squadron converted to and became operational on Westland Lysanders.
In June 1940 No 614 Squadron moved to Scotland to carry out coastal patrols, covering an area from Inverness to Berwick. From July 1941 it began re-equipping with Bristol Blenheims, a process completed by January 1942.
In support of Bomber Command
In support of RAF Bomber Command's 'Thousand Bomber Raids' in May and June 1942, the Squadron sent its Blenheims to attack enemy airfields in the Low Countries and in August 1942 it laid smoke screens for the landings at Dieppe.
In North Africa
In November 1942 the Squadron moved to North Africa where it carried out attacks against enemy airfields and lines of communication until May 1943. It then carried out shipping escort duties in the Mediterranean until being disbanded on 25 January 1944 at Borizzo Airfield, Sicily.
On Halifaxes and Liberators
The second incarnation of No 614 Squadron had its origins in No 462 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), which had formed on 7 September 1942 at Fayid, Egypt, under Article XV of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. (462 Squadron contained mostly British aircrew and ground staff). The RAAF Overseas Headquarters requested that the squadron be renumbered and transferred to the RAF. On 15 February 1944, while it was en route to Celone, Italy the unit was renumbered to No 614 Squadron. Equipped with Handley Page Halifaxes it was involved in bombing missions over Italy and the Balkans and it also carried out supply drops to partisans in those areas. The Squadron re-equipped with Consolidated Liberators in March 1945, the Halifaxes finally being withdrawn in March 1945, but on 27 July 1945 it was disbanded at Amendola Airfield, Italy, and renumbered to No 214 Squadron RAF.
With the reactivation of the RAuxAF, No 614 Squadron was reformed on 10 May 1946 at RAF Llandow as a day fighter squadron. Initially the squadron was equipped with Supermarine Spitfires which gave way to de Havilland Vampires in July 1950. Along with all the flying units of the RAuxAF, the unit was disbanded on 10 March 1957.