SHQ

History

History of RAF Scampton

STATION HISTORY PRE WWII

Formed in Nov 1916 as a Home Defence Flight Station and named Brattleby Cliff

Renamed Scampton in the spring of 1917 and developed as a Royal Flying Corps station with Operational Training Squadrons 11, 60 and 81

Aircraft included Sopwith Camel, Pup and Dolphin

In 1920s station was returned to the farming community

STATION DURING WORLD WAR II

Reopened in August 1936

At outbreak of WWII Scampton was transferred to Bomber Command.

49 and 83 Sqn’s using Handley Page Hampdens were used for the hazardous task of low level minelaying and bombing of ships.

In 1940, 2 VC’s were awarded following the Dortmund Em’s Canal attack against invasion barges.

STATION DURING WORLD WAR II

December 1941, 49 and 83 Sqn’s changed aircraft frame to the troublesome Avro Manchester

By May 1942, aircraft changed again to the proven Avro Lancaster

In March 1943, 617 Sqn was established for the Dambusters mission codenamed ‘Operation Chastise’

As a result of the raid on the night of 16 May 1943, 34 gallantry medals were awarded, including Scampton’s third VC to Wing Commander Guy Gibson

STATION DURING WORLD WAR II

1944, all Sqn’s moved away to various stations for first upgrade of Scampton runways

December 1944, 2 Bomber Sqn’s returned to Scampton

25 April 1945, the last bombing mission from Scampton was launched against Hitler’s mountain retreat at Obersalzberg

During WWII, Scampton lost a total of 266 aircraft

POST WORLD WAR II

1954, Station used as stage for the making of “The DamBusters” film

STATION HISTORY DURING 1950s & 1960s

1948-1949, Scampton became the home to US Strategic Air Command aircraft consisting of B-29 Superfortresses

1953, 4 Sqn’s of Canberra bombers moved in

1956, runway extended to 10000ft forcing the rerouting of the A15

1958, 617 Sqn reformed at Scampton equipped with the Vulcan bomber

1963-1969, Scampton Vulcan’s fitted with Blue Steel, the Standoff Air to Surface Nuclear missile

STATION RECENT HISTORY

1982, Final Vulcan flight from RAF Scampton

1983, Base transfers to Support Command

1983, Scampton becomes home to the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team “The Red Arrows”

1984, Tornado Radar Repair Unit transferred to Scampton

STATION RECENT HISTORY

1990s, Base placed on Care & Maintenance

1995, Red Arrows moved to RAF Cranwell

2000, Red Arrows return to Scampton

2005, Base reverts to Strike Command

2005, Arrival of UK Air Surveillance and Control System (ASACS) Control and Reporting Centre (CRC) and Mobile Met Unit (MMU)

2006, 1 Air Control Centre Deployed to Afghanistan

2009, 1ACC return form Afghanistan

2010, 1ACC Merged with the CRC

Scampton Badge

The location of the base in relation to Ermine Street is also significant. The history of the use of the historic route through the north of Lincolnshire for Pilot Training purposes in WWI is well documented, and the views along the road to Lincoln Cathedral traditionally assisted pilots returning to base to locate the airfield. The topography of the station in relation to the road has been immortalised in the Station badge, in which the Longbow bowstring represents Ermine Street bent to accommodate the lengthened runway, and the arrow representing the runway itself.

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest