In front of a dagger, a lynx's head affrontee - approved by King George VI in February 1937. The Squadron had used the dagger for some time, the lynx's head indicating vigilance
Motto: Adjuvamus tuendo - 'We assist by watching'
Western Front 1915-1918*, Somme 1916, Arras*, Cambrai 1917*, Somme 1918*, Hindenburg Line, France and Low Countries 1939-1940, Dieppe*, North Africa 1942-1943, Mediterranean 1943, Italy 1944-1945*, Gustav Line, Gothic Line, Gulf 1991*
History of XIII Squadron:
No 13 Squadron was formed at Gosport on 10 January 1915, taking its BE2Cs across the Channel in October, initially employed on corps reconnaissance duties. In April 1917, RE8s replaced the BE2s and these played a major role in the battles of Arras and Cambrai. When hostilities ceased, the Squadron remained in France, before returning to the UK in 1919 and disbanding. Reformed at Kenley in April 1924, the Squadron resumed its army co-operation role with Bristol Fighters and played a major role in developing co-operation between land and air forces. Atlas', Audaxes and Hectors were subsequently used, before Lysanders arrived in 1939.
As part of the BEF in France during the early part of World War II, No. 13 Squadron carried out tactical reconnaissance missions, before returning, a much depleted force in May 1940. The following year was spent on anti-submarine and anti-invasion patrols before Blenheims arrived and the Squadron returned to army co-operation duties. During 1942, the Squadron provided diversionary attacks for the 1,000 bomber raids. By the end of the year, No. 13 Squadron had moved to North Africa, supporting the First Army throughout its victorious campaign.
During the allied invasion of Italy, the Squadron was tasked with shipping protection. After the War, the Squadron was disbanded briefly before reforming in Palestine with reconnaissance Mosquitos. In 1952, Meteors arrived, and later moved to Akrotiri, Cyprus. In 1957, the Squadron began a long association with Canberras and moved to Malta in 1965. As the RAF withdrew from its Middle East bases in the late 1960s, No. 13 remained in Malta until transferring to Wyton in 1978, continuing to fly Canberras until disbanded in 1982. No. 13 squadron reformed with the new Tornado GR1A at Honington on 1 January 1990, and moved to RAF Marham, some four years later. 13 Squadron disbanded on 1 June 2011 and stood up at RAF Waddington on 26th October 2012 as the first UK based Reaper Squadron.The squadron undertook its first sortie on 24 April 2013.