RAF Voyager

906 EAW

Overview

906 Expeditionary Air Wing (906 EAW) provides the UK’s air mobility hub in the Middle East and is a critical link in the UK’s strategic air-bridge to and from the region. The Wing enables operations by C-17A Globemaster III, C-130J Hercules and Voyager aircraft. The Wing also provides base support for Tornado GR4 and Typhoon FGR4 aircraft during exercises with the UK’s partner countries in the Middle East.

Command and Control

906 EAW is one of 4 EAWs under command of 83 Expeditionary Air Group (83 EAG). The Wing is commanded by an RAF Wing Commander who is responsible to the Air Officer Commanding 83 EAG for the Wing’s operations.

History

906 (Tactical) Wing was established on 1 Dec 1944 at Tulihal, India, and was formerly known as 170 (Bomber) Wing and RAF Wing Headquarters, Imphal. No 906 (Tactical) Wing was a composite fighter/bomber unit tasked with providing air superiority and providing support to the 14th Army during its advance south through central Burma. This included close support to forward troops and attacking longer-range targets. As the campaign progressed, it became important for Allied troops to re-occupy Rangoon before the next monsoon season started and the weather made air operations impossible. The main danger to Wing aircraft was from small arms fire and the Japanese use of land mines exploding under low flying/diving aircraft. Ultimately successful in its task, the Wing was disbanded on 13 Nov 1945.

During Operation ELLAMY in 2011, 906 Wing was re-formed as 906 EAW. The Wing’s Tornado GR4 and Typhoon FGR4 aircraft worked together to provide ground attack and control of the air over Libya. Additionally, the Wing supported Tornado GR4s returning from long-range missions from RAF Marham. 906 EAW is currently located at a base in the Middle East.

 
Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest