The Royal Air Force Air Cadets is pleased to announce that the following members of the organisation have been recognised in HM The Queen’s New Years Honours’ List 2019.
Congratulations to all of those who have received awards.
Squadron Leader Roger Beech (retired) has received an MBE in this year’s New Year Honours List and was nominated for his role as Wing Staff Officer, Headquarters No. 1 Welsh Wing, Air Training Corps.
Beech’s citation notes his outstanding leadership qualities, commitment, dedication and longevity have provided an inspiration to all. He has spent nearly 45 years as Squadron Commander, during which he has helped to develop more than 600 young people and provide them with citizenship, leadership and teamwork skills. Through his leadership, his staff and cadets have raised thousands of pounds for a vast array of charities.
On receiving the MBE, Squadron Leader Beech said: “I am normally never one lost for words. My Regional Commandant, Group Captain Simon, certainly silenced me when he told me the news. It’s difficult to put into words but gobsmacked would sum it up!
This award is at the top of my very long career along with when one of my cadets, Cpl Matthew Roderick, opened the Cadet Debate in the House of Lords on the First World War - truly remarkable.
And that's what the Air Training Corps (Royal Air Force Air Cadets) is all about - the MBE is something I will always be proud of but also the many cadets that I have met over the years for they have been my inspiration and my reward.”
Roger Beech joined 277 (Blackwood) Squadron as a Cadet himself, aged 13, and attained the rank of Cadet Warrant Officer. He later became a Squadron OC before becoming a Wing Sports Officer and then being appointed as the Central Sector Commander in the Wing. He finally stood down as OC 277 Squadron after 40 years in command. Since then he has served as the president of No. 1 Welsh Wing Sports Council.
Deputy Commanders’ Cap Commendation (DCOMs’)
· Warrant Officer CJ Marsh, Commandant Air Cadets Warrant Officer (CACWO) RAFAC HQ received a DCom Cap Commendation.
· Mr KSF Watson was awarded a DCom Cap Commendation for his service as a CI and Adjutant at 1063 squadron on behalf of L&SER.
AOC’s [Air Officer Commanding] Commendation
We received two AOC 22 Gp Team Commendations in the NYHL.
· Kent wing were awarded the commendation for the Nijmegen Team Leaders in L&SER
· The Sting Aircraft Project team were also given a team commendation on behalf of 2FTS.
· Flight Lieutenant Bell RAFAC of 637 VGS awarded an AOC’s Commendation
· Flight Lieutenant Mockeridge RAFAC of 622 VGS awarded an AOC’s Commendation
· Warrant Officer Nash RAFAC - C&L Wg - awarded an AOC’s Commendation
· Sqn Ldr Ross RAFAC – Scotland and Northern Ireland Region - awarded an AOC’s Commendation
· Flight Lieutenant Swadling RAFAC, from Middlesex Wing was awarded an AOC’s Commendation
· Mr Webb of 2FTS CGS was awarded an AOC’s Commendation.
Commandant Air cadets, Air Commodore Dawn McCafferty said:
“I am So proud to see another great group of RAF Air Cadets staff and volunteers gain awards in the New Year’s Honours List. It’s always worth the effort of crafting citations and staffing them through the system to see such special people gain well-deserved public recognition of their efforts.”
“My warmest congratulations to all and a heartfelt thank you to every single member of the RAF Air Cadets for their amazing efforts during a very busy year.”
“I wish you all a very Happy New Year, wherever you are and whoever you are with. See you all in 2020!”
You can find the full list of RAF personnel who have been recognised for their efforts in this year’s New Year Honours List here: http://bit.ly/RAFNYHL2020