Bader Cadet Portal is a new official and approved web-based platform which is being released in phases to all cadets across the Air Training Corps in late 2019/early 2020. It is part of the Bader platform and is directly linked to the Bader Squadron Management System which will allow a cadet, for the first time, to have direct access to the information the organisation holds on them.
It will help cadets (and their parents/guardians) to be better informed of what opportunities are available to them as Air Cadets, reduce the administrative burden on volunteer and permanent staff through streamlined communications and processes and help to reduce the bottlenecks and ‘filtering’ that occur at all levels of the Chain of Command.
Cadet portal has been designed and developed by serving volunteer staff from the Volunteer Staff Development Team (VSDT) who work in partnership with the permanent software development staff at HQ RAF Air Cadets. The platform is secure and is accredited by the Royal Air Force and the Ministry of Defence.
The aim of the Cadet Portal is to provide an electronic point of access to cadets in order to help maximise their engagement whilst reducing administrative burden on volunteers.
Cadets will have access to a range of functions including:
- Access to information on the events the squadron/detached flight are running – this includes the ability to sign up for events, download event related documents including joining instructions and kit lists directly from Cadet Portal. All of the event information is pulled into cadet portal directly from SMS.
- They can update the data that belongs to them like forename, surname, email, address, telephone numbers etc and any changes are pushed back to SMS.
- The cadet can track the qualifications and awards they have achieved against the progressive training syllabus. Again, all of this data is being pulled from SMS and displayed in cadet portal. So, if a qualification or award is missing on SMS, it will not be displayed on cadet portal – but when that record is added in SMS, it will instantly display on the portal.
- Cadets can submit absences to their squadron/detached flight for parade nights that they cannot attend. If the cadet are going on holiday they can let the unit know through cadet portal and SMS will allow volunteers to track absences submitted.
- Cadets can view an electronic version of their brassard based on their SMS record and see where to place the badges. Measurements for each badge are also included.
- Unit training programmes can be uploaded via SMS and shared with the cadets through Cadet Portal. The programmes can cover any date range so could cover a weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual programme.
- Links to key documents like air cadet publications and forms are embedded throughout Cadet Portal and link directly to the correct versions on Bader SharePoint without the need for cadets to login to access them.
- Drill and uniform information and videos are available to the cadets. We will be adding new content over time to help cadets to understand how to maintain their uniform and improve their drill standards.
- Cadets can access welfare and support information which explains what they should do if they have any kind of problem during their time as a cadet.
- We will be releasing a number of posts in the coming weeks highlighting how each of the different areas of Cadet Portal will work!
The Cadet Portal Beta trial with 12 selected units from across the organisation starts on the 9th October and we are hoping to complete the release of the system to all units by early January 2020.