Applying for Service Families Accommodation

All Service personnel who wish to apply for Service Family Accommodation (SFA) in the UK are expected to use the electronic application form (e-1132). If you wish to apply for SFA go to - which is only available on MOD systems to protect your information. The system can also be found on the Admin Tab of the Defence Intranet.

The only exceptions to using the e-1132 are for personnel who do not readily have access to the Defence Intranet. These include: personnel deployed on operations; Defence Attaches/Exchange Officers; personnel serving overseas; Special Forces and Recruiting Officers. Please note that illegible or incomplete paper forms (MOD Form 1132) will be returned to applicants for them to amend or correct as appropriate – and that the allocation may be delayed as a result.

The Allocations Service process

The process for applying for UK SFA is:

  1. Entitled/Eligible Service personnel identify a new or changing requirement as a result of Assignment Order, marriage or change of family size.
  2. Personnel complete application form using e-1132 system, wherever possible.
  3. The e-1132 self preference system will display available properties that match entitlement – providing photographs and floor plans where available. The system will also provide a map showing the location of the available properties.
  4. Applicant registers their three preferences, in order. If no properties are available Substitute SFA may be appropriate, further details are included below.
  5. Occupancy Services review the preferences and makes a formal offer where a suitable property exists – sending a message by email. The allocations process is set out below.
  6. Personnel may accept or reject the offer, in accordance with the existing policy. Guidance about rejecting the offer is included below.
  7. If accepted, the applicant views and accepts the Licence to Occupy online using the e-1132 system.
  8. Personnel book Move In and Move Out (if appropriate) online using the electronic system.
  9. Once the offer is accepted, the licence agreed and Move In appointment booked; an email will be sent confirming the allocation of the property.
  10. Carillionamey staff and the Service Licensee (or nominated proxy) attend the agreed Move In appointment to formally accept the property.

Rejecting the Offer

If personnel refuse the offer for personal reasons, they are placed on a refusal waiting list. Whilst personnel are entitled to a second offer, there is no guarantee when a further offer will be made. Applicants should also note that they may well not be granted permission to retain their SFA at their old Duty Station, and that in some circumstances they may need to make their own arrangements for accommodation whilst they await a second offer.

The Housing allocations process

Staff at Carillionamey's Occupancy Services consider the following points when making decisions about allocations, to ensure that the MOD uses the stock available to best meet the needs of all applicants. This criteria will also be used to make decisions when more than one applicant expresses a preference for the same property:

  • Date application submitted
  • Requirement Date
  • Posting date
  • Family size and ages
  • Pets
  • Local or Chain of Command agreements
  • Commuting distance.

Self Preference system

The new enhanced system, which was launched in 2012, aims to display at least one photograph of suitable properties that match the entitlement of individual Service personnel, in addition to supplying a description of the property and floor plans where available.
The programme to capture photographs and floor plans is ongoing, as this information is only being collected when a property is empty or between occupants.

Any faults found with the new system should be reported by email to and any allocation issues should be referred to Occupancy Services at the email address below.

The system is an integral element of the Defence Infrastructure Organisation’s Technology Solution, which will establish the Information systems and eEnabled processes that the DIO will use in the future.

Quick guide to applying for UK Service Family Accommodation

If you are entitled, you will need to complete and submit an application for SFA. For Service personnel with access to an MOD computer system that has access to the Defence Intranet, you are expected to complete your application online using the e-1132 form system.

The e-1132 form system allows you to: 

track the progress of your application

view available properties that match your entitlement 

register your top 3 preferences

book your 'Move In' (once an offer for a property has been made and accepted)

where appropriate, book your 'Move Out' appointment

electronically sign your Licence to Occupy

complete and submit your application for SFA at the following link: e1132 form

If you experience any issues when completing or submittting your e-1132, please call the Occupancy Services Team on 0800 707 6000 Option 3.
What happens if there isn't any available SFA where you are moving to?

If this happens,the CarillionAmey Occupancy Services team issues you with a Non availability certificate (NAC) and you will be advised to contact the Substitute Service Family Accommodation (SSFA) Helpdesk via the following contact details:

Telephone: 01480 52451 ext 8681

Military Network: 95371 8681