Housing Issues

Service Families Accommodation and Single Living Accommodation is available to all RAF personnel subject to entitlement regulations. However, it is a fact that approx 40% of our Single and Married personnel have their own property or rent from the community and there are always more personnel moving into the private sector.

There are several schemes available which can help RAF personnel get on the housing ladder, either during at at the end of their career. These can be found at the links below:

Affordable Housing Schemes for Service Personnel (PDF, 76KB)

Fairer Social Housing Rules for Service Personnel (PDF, 12KB)

Long Service Advance of Pay – Good News

It has been agreed with HM Treasury that with effect from 1 October 2008 the MOD will no longer retain a second charge on your property when you buy a home using the Long Service Advance of Pay (LSAP). This is good news as historically not all lenders were prepared to accept the business when there was a second charge. Full details and arrangements for current LSAP customers can be found on our internal Community Support website.

Local Connection’ Housing Rules Changed

On 1 December 2008 the rules on establishing a ’Local Connection’ for the purpose of an application for homelessness assistance have changed. Consequently, anyone serving in the Armed Forces is now able to establish a local connection with a district through residence of choice or employment there, the same as a civilian. Applicants who are dealing with a council which is unaware of this change, should provide them with a copy of this letter:

Local Connection Letter (PDF, 41KB)

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office provides Service personnel and their families with information and advice on the increasingly complex range of civilian housing options. Contact details, downloads and useful information can be found on their website below:

Joint Service Housing Advice Office