Housing Links

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office provides Service personnel and their families with information and advice on the increasingly complex range of civilian housing options.
Joint Service Housing Advice Office

Registered Social Landlords (RSLs)

Registered Social Landlord is the technical name for a social landlord who is registered with the Housing Corporation: most are housing associations, but there are also trusts, co-operatives and companies. RSLs are run as businesses but they do not trade for profit. Any surplus is ploughed back into the organisation to maintain existing homes and to help finance new ones. Further details on affordable housing through housing associations are available below:

Affordable Housing

Low-cost home ownership schemes

There are many different schemes available to help you get on the housing ladder. Details are available below:

House purchase schemes

Renting Privately

Should you choose to rent privately, help is available online with current legislation, problems and pitfalls you may encounter:

Help when renting privately


The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents is a registered charity which was established over 80 years ago. Providing information, advice, resources and training, RoSPA is actively involved in the promotion of safety in all areas of life - at work, in the home, and on the roads, in schools, at leisure and on or near water.

Haig Housing Trust

Haig Housing Trust (HHT) was set up by the charity Haig Homes in 2008 to give more flexible forms of housing help to the Service community, and is regulated by the Charities Commission. COBSEO has since asked Haig to lead for the ex-Service charities on housing matters, and HHT now acts as “housing agent” for, amongst others, Help for Heroes (H4H) and the ABF The Soldiers Charity. HHT aims to give early advice re housing to the badly wounded and disabled and so possibly prevent them making costly mistakes. It also offers adapted housing on Haig’s existing estates, or to buy and rent back individually sourced properties where they are needed, and can also provide a shared ownership scheme to prevent those with sizeable PAX and AFCS payments from having to sink all their money into bricks and mortar.

Currently a 3 man team attend case conferences by invitation of the PRUs and hold “clinics” at DMRC fortnightly. They liaise closely with RN estates, the Royal Marines Hasler Company and the RAFBF Housing Department, as well as other ex-Service charities such as TRBL, SSAFA, H4H, ABF The Soldiers Charity, BLESMA and those in Scotland etc. They are co-located in Victoria with the ABF The Soldiers Charity, the Officers’ Association, COBSEO and Combat Stress’s London Office.

Further details of Haig Housing Trust's good work are in their website.