Request for Information from Service Records

Royal Air Force personnel records are held in the MOD archive and disclosure provided via the RAF Disclosure section. Personnel record information will, unless DPA 98 and FOIA 2000 regulation dictate otherwise, only be divulged to the person to whom it refers, or, if deceased to their immediate next of kin (25 year exclusivity period from date of death). Anyone else must obtain written permission from the person about whom they are enquiring, or from the next of kin if falling within the 25 year period, before any information can be given to them.

Those seeking information about themselves, known as a Subject Access Request (SAR), should submit their request in writing direct to the RAF Disclosure section if no longer serving. Current serving personnel should submit the request through their unit DPO who will co-ordinate/advise upon any locally held material. In all instances SAR’s need to be supported by appropriate ID. A link to the MOD SAR request form is provided below:

Subject Access Request

Those requiring information from a deceased employees Service record should submit an application in accordance with the MOD FOIA Publication Scheme. A link to the scheme is provided below. An administrative charge of £30.00 is applied per deceased record requested and if cheques are submitted with queries, they should be made payable to 'HMG 3627'. The only people exempt this charge are the widow/widower, civil partner or parent if the other categories are not applicable.

Requesting Records of Deceased Service Personnel
The RAF Disclosure address is:
RAF Disclosures
Room 6, Trenchard Hall
RAFC Cranwell
Lincs NG34 8HB

For records of decorations and citations:

Records of decorations are usually listed upon an individuals RAF service record and can thus be obtained by requesting a copy of the service record. Enquirers should note that details of decorations awarded are listed in the online pages of the London Gazette, and are accessible without charge via this publication. Please see the link below.

London Gazette
On occasion the citation to the decoration is also placed in the London Gazette and may also be available as a public record in the National Archive, (link below).

National Archives
Enquirers are advised that it is rare to locate citations on the RAF Service record, but consideration will be given to requests for this information.