Support Groups and Veterans

Within the Royal Air Force there are many organizations to assist Regular, Auxiliary and Reserve Servicemen and their families. Community Support personnel on units are usually the responsibility of the Office Commanding Personnel Management Squadron. A typical Community Support set-up will include a Community Development Officer, a Station Community Support Officer, a SSAFA Representative and a HIVE Information Officer.

RAF Benevolent Fund

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund provides financial and practical assistance to anyone who is serving, or has ever served in the RAF, and their partners and dependants too. It offers grants, care and mobility services to individuals, as well as funding large-scale projects such as RAF childcare centres, debt advice services and relationship counselling.
If you think you may be eligible for help please call the charity on 0800 169 2942 or apply for help online.

RAF Benevolent Fund Website

RAF Benevolent Fund Provides Free Relationship Support Through Relate

For almost 90 years the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) has been helping serving members of the RAF with a wide range of problems. Now it is trying to find the best way of supporting those who have difficulties in their relationships. RAF personnel who find they are experiencing relationship difficulties, can engage the services of their local Relate office and the RAFBF have kindly agreed to fund up to 6 sessions with a local counsellor. You can even 'chat' live online with a member of the Relate team. For further details please visit the website below:

RAFBF/Relate Website

RAF Association

The RAF Association is dedicated to supporting serving and former RAF personnel and their families. Whether it’s an injured airman fighting to get back onto his feet, a young daughter missing her parent away on overseas operations or a WWII veteran needing a shoulder to lean on, they are there to help.

The Association has a network of dedicated Honorary Welfare Officers (HWOs), supported by Area Welfare Officers and the Welfare Department at Central Headquarters. The Honorary Welfare Officers offer friendship, advice and practical help to those who require support. They provide this service to all who are serving or have served – you do not need to be a member of the RAF Association to become eligible for this help.

RAF Association Website

Veterans Welfare Service

Veterans Welfare Service (VWS) - provides support to veterans, those who are eligible to claim for the MOD pension and compensation schemes and their dependants. The focus of the service is to provide assistance following a change in situation that may have resulted in a welfare need.

Veterans UK helpline - provides specific advice on the War Disablement pension and Armed Forces Compensation Schemes claims. The helpline also offers advice on where to get help on a range of issues including benefits, pensions, loans and grants, emergency accommodation, finding a job, retraining, health issues, welfare concerns, service records and medals.

The helpline also has up to date information on central/local government and ex Service organisations and other voluntary groups.

Veterans Welfare Service Leaflet (PDF, 2.87MB)