Contact Us

This page is to help you find the correct department within the Royal Air Force to help you with any questions/queries you may have.

Want to Join the Royal Air Force?

Do you want to join the Royal Air Force or have a question you want to ask us? Why not visit RAF CAREERS and for contacts the Get in touch page on the same site, to see what options and interests are open to you.

Royal Air Force Service Records

Personnel Records

Royal Air Force personnel records are held in the MOD archive and disclosure provided via the RAF Disclosure section. Personnel record information will, unless DPA 98 and FOIA 2000 regulation dictate otherwise, only be divulged to the person to whom it refers, or, if deceased to their immediate next of kin (25 year exclusivity period from date of death). Anyone else must obtain written permission from the person about whom they are enquiring, or from the next of kin if falling within the 25 year period, before any information can be given to them.

Those seeking information about themselves’, known as a Subject Access Request (SAR), should submit their request in writing direct to the RAF Disclosure section if no longer serving. Current serving personnel should submit the request through their unit DPO who will co-ordinate/advise upon any locally held material. In all instances SAR’s need to be supported by appropriate ID. A link to the MOD SAR request form is provided below:

Subject Access Request

Those requiring information from a deceased employees service record should submit an application in accordance with the MOD FOIA Publication Scheme. A link to the scheme is provided below. An administrative charge of £30.00 is applied per deceased record requested and if cheques are submitted with queries, they should be made payable to 'HMG Sub-Account 3627'. The only people exempt this charge are the widow/widower, civil partner or parent if the other categories are not applicable.

Requesting Records of Deceased Service Personnel

The RAF Disclosure address is:

RAF Disclosures
Room 6, Trenchard Hall
RAFC Cranwell
Lincs NG34 8HB

For records of decorations and citations:

Records of decorations are usually listed upon an individuals RAF service record and can thus be obtained by requesting a copy of the service record. Enquirers should note that details of decorations awarded are listed in the online pages of the London Gazette, and are accessible without charge via this publication. Please see the link below.

London Gazette

On occasion the citation to the decoration is also placed in the London Gazette and may also be available as a public record in the National Archive, (link below).

National Archives

Enquirers are advised that it is rare to locate citations on the RAF service record, but consideration will be given to requests for this information.

For Medical Claims

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
Ministry of Defence Medal Office
Imjin Barracks

Records for precursors of the RAF (the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service) are held at the National Archives, as are RAF records for service during the First World War.

Casualty enquiries

Enquiries regarding personnel from the year 2000 to present day:

Information about casualties is deemed to be personal and only enquiries in writing from or on behalf of next of kin can normally be considered. Casualty enquiries are dealt with by:

Service Personnel & Veterans Agency
Joint Casualty & Compassionate Centre
Room G35
Innsworth House
Imjin Barracks

Tel Number: 01452 712612 Ext 6303 / 7495

Enquiries regarding personnel before the year 2000:

Please enquire with the Air Historical Branch. Contact details can be found further down this contact list.

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA)

On Monday 2 April 2007, the Ministry of Defence (MOD) officially launched the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, aimed at improving personnel, pensions, welfare and support services to members of the Armed Forces and veterans.

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) has been formed through a merger of the Veterans Agency (VA) and Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency (AFPAA). The new Agency will provide for the first time, a range of 'through life' support functions direct to around 900,000 serving and ex-Service personnel.

Key contact information

0800 169 2277 Freephone

0800 169 3458 Textphone



Official records relating to the Royal Air Force

Official records can found found at either the National Archives or the Air Historical Branch(RAF).

The National Archives

The National Archives,
Ruskin Avenue,
Surrey TW9 4DU.

Fax: +44 (0)20 8878 8905.

Opening times (free admission)

  • Monday Closed
  • Tuesday 09.00 - 19.00
  • Wednesday
  • 09.00 - 17.00
  • Thursday 09.00 - 19.00
  • Friday 09.00 -
  • 17.00
  • Saturday 09.00 - 17.00
  • Sunday
  • Closed
  • Readers' Tickets - these cannot to obtained by post. Readers
  • need to bring specific ID with them and apply on-site at Kew.
  • Information sheets (known as Research Guides) - much of this
  • information is available online at

The National Archives office may be able to provide a list of private research agents who are willing to undertake research at the Public Record Office for a negotiated fee. Intending visitors are advised to check:

  • The opening times prior to a visit as sections are
  • occasionally closed for stocktaking.
  • That documents are available for consultation as they are
  • sometimes withdrawn for official use.

Air Historical Branch(RAF)

Air Historical Branch (RAF) and Publications Clearance Branch (Air),
Building 824,
RAF Northolt,
West End Road,
HA4 6NG.

Fax: +44 (0)20 8833 8170.

The Air Historical Branch was established in 1919 with the task of writing the Official History of British air operations in the First World War. Today, its aim is to maintain and preserve the historical memory of the RAF, and to develop and encourage an informed understanding of RAF and air power history by providing accurate and timely advice to Ministers, the RAF, other government departments and the general public.

Air Historical Branch(RAF) also maintain historical records relating to individual aircraft.

Futher details can be found on the Air Historical Branch(RAF) website -

Royal Air Force - Other sources of information

The ability to operate military aircraft and helicopters at low level is an essential part of ensuring operational success. Low flying training in the UK enables this vital capability.
For more details on this and contacts see the the Low Flying section on the MOD.

Royal Air Force Museum

Royal Air Force Museum
Grahame Park Way
London NW9 5LL

  • Telephone: +44 (0)20 8205 2266 ext 4873
  • Royal Air Force - Other sources of information
  • Website:

The Royal Air Force Museum has First World War casualty records, and also hold limited records of individual aircraft.

Imperial War Museum

Imperial War Museum,
Lambeth Road,
London SE1 6HZ

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

2 Marlow Road
Berks SL6 7DX

This site now has a searchable database (The 'Debt of Honour Register') containing the names of 1.7 million casualties from both World Wars and the 23,000 cemeteries, memorials and other locations world-wide where they are commemorated. The register can also be searched for details of the 67,000 Commonwealth civilians who died as a result of enemy action in the Second World War.

RAFA Logo RAF Association (RAFA)

Royal Air Forces Association
Headquarters, Atlas House
41 Wembley Road

The RAF Association (RAFA) is a membership organisation of current and past members of the RAF and those with an interest in aviation. It supports serving and retired members of the Royal Air Forces and their dependants who need support. This includes those involved in the Falklands, Bosnia and the Gulf to World War II veterans.

Comradeship is provided is provided through its 500+ branches and its network of Honourary Welfare Officers provide advice and support to those in need.

The three care homes, jointly funded with the RAF Benevolent Fund, provide respite care for those with medical or welfare needs and it also has a long term residential care home at Sussexdown House in West Sussex.

Information on membership, welfare, fund-raising and marketing is available.

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund
67 Portland Place
Registered Charity No. 1081009

Telephone: 0800 169 2942

The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund is the RAF's leading welfare charity, providing financial, practical and emotional support to all members of the RAF family. It helps serving and former members of the RAF, as well as their partners and dependants, whenever needed.

It helps members of the RAF family deal with a wide range of issues: from childcare and relationship difficulties to injury and disability, and from financial hardship and debt to illness and bereavement.

TECHNICAL queries only!

Text size: