110 Squadron


Squadron badge


"Nec timeo nec sperno" ("I neither fear nor despise").


Issuant from an astral crown, a demi-tiger. The demi-tiger as the crest of the Nizam of Hyderabad who presented the squadron with its original service aircraft in 1918.


HM King George VI, August 1940.

History of 110 Squadron:

No. 110 Squadron, RFC, was formed at Rendcombe, Gloucestershire, on 1st November 1917, crossed to France in late August/early September 1918, for duty with the Independent Force, and during the remainder of World War I was employed on long-distance day bombing with DH9A aircraft - the first squadron to employ this aircraft. Its original complement of DH9As were the gift of His Serene Highness the Nizam of Hyderabad. Each aircraft bore an inscription to that effect, and the unit became known as the Hyderabad Squadron.1

Disbanded in 1919, No. 110 re-formed in 1937 - again as a bomber unit - and on 4th September 1939, led the RAF's first bombing raid of World War 2 when five of its Blenheims flew from the civil airport at Ipswich (to which No. 110 had been detached from its base at Wattisham on 2nd September) to attack German warships near Wilhelmshaven.2

The squadron moved to India early in 1942, arriving there in May, but it was October before the Squadron received Vengeances and it was March 1943 before they could be taken into action on the Burma front. Support for the 14th Army continued until May 1944, when No. 110 was withdrawn for conversion to Mosquitoes, the first of which arrived in November. On 31 March 1945 the Mosquitoes began operations and attacks were made on Japanese bases and communications in Burma until the end of the campaign. In September 1945 the Squadron moved to Singapore and in October and November operated in Java. In December a detachment was moved to Labuan and the rest of the Squadron followed in February 1946 although the Squadron was then disbanded on 15 April 1946.

On the 15 June 1946 No. 96 Squadron at Kai Tak was renumbered No. 110, its Dakotas flying transport duties in the area until July 1947, when it became temporarily non-operational until September. During the emergency in Malaya the Squadron was engaged in supply dropping to the Army and police forces in the jungle until the Communist guerillas had been driven back. In October 1951 the Squadron started to convert to Valettas, the last Dakota leaving in April 1952, which were flown until the Squadron disbanded on 31 December 1957. On 3 June 1959, Nos. 155 and 194 Squadrons were combined and renumbered No. 110 at Kuala Lumpur initially flying Whirlwinds until April 1960 when Sycamores were added. It flew both types on transport and supply duties in Malaya, until a detachment was sent to Brunei in April 1963 and the whole Squadron became involved in operations in Borneo. The Squadron remained in Borneo until November 1967 and then returned to Singapore staying here until No. 110 was disbanded on 15 February 1971.

1. On the outbreak of WW2 the Nizam contributed towards the cost of three squadrons, so No. 110 once more bore the name "Hyderabad".
2. The No. 110 Sqdn formation, which was followed by a similar-sized formation from No. 107 Sqdn, was led by Flight Lieutenant KC Doran flying in Blenheim IV N6204. One of Doran's formation failed to return. For his part in the operation Doran gained one of the first two awards made to any member of the British Services in WW2 (See also history of No. 139 Sqdn).

Text size: