RAF Banner with Crest.

257 Squadron

257 SQUADRON

Squadron badge

Motto:

Thay myay gyee shin shwe hti - 'Death or glory'

Badge:

A chinthe sejant. No 257 Squadron was the Burma gift squadron in World War Two; the chinthe is a Burmese effigy.






History of 257 Squadron:

No 257 Squadron was formed at Dundee on 18 August 1918, from Nos 318 and 319 Flights at the former seaplane station built there by the RNAS. It flew anti-submarine patrols off the east coast of Scotland until the end of the war and disbanded on 30 June 1919.

On 17 May 1940 No 257 reformed at Hendon as a fighter squadron. Initially it flew Spitfires but during June exchanged these for Hurricanes, becoming operational on 1 July. The squadron was based in south-east England throughout the Battle of Britain and in March began taking part in sweeps over France. Night fighter patrols were also flown and in July 1942 No.257 converted to Typhoons which began low-level patrols in September to intercept enemy fighter-bomber raids. Escort missions were also flown and in July 1943, it began offensive operations. The squadron started fighter-bombing sorties in January 1944, and as part of Second TAF moved to France in July to provide air support for the Allied armies. By October it was based in Belgium for attacks on enemy transport and battlefield targets. On 3 March 1945, No.257 flew its last mission and disbanded on 5 March 1945.

On 1 September 1946, No.257 reformed at Church Fenton as a night fighter squadron. Equipped with Meteors, it flew this type until January 1955. Hunters began to arrive in September 1954, the squadron being the first to fly the Sapphire engined variant. On 31 March 1957, No.257 was disbanded.

On 1 July 1960, the squadron reformed at Warboys as an air defence missile unit, disbanding on 31 December 1963.

Text size:
medium|
larger|
largest